Thursday, December 16, 2010

Survival!

GUESS WHO SURVIVED ANOTHER SEMESTER?!


It seems that this whole graduate school thing isn't so hard after all, of course, keeping my course-load light this time probably  has something to do with that.  Next semester is not going to be easy at all.  I've got environmental technology, evolution, and GIS.



Environmental technology is an engineering class, which I'm especially worried about.  Even though I minored in physics for my undergrad, it's been a long time since I've had to do any sort of complicated math.  Hopefully it will go ok.  If not, I'm lucky enough to have a younger sister who is a physicist, and willing to help.

The evolution and GIS are not required for my degree, but they are important for my work and my own growth as a scientist, so I'm taking them.  The evolution class will be tough because the instructor is tough, but I love that, hopefully I won't regret it. The GIS class seems as though it will be labor intensive, but interesting, and GIS is an important skill to have if I change my mind about getting a doctorate right away. (I'm still on the fence on that one.)

I've thought about only taking the evolution and postponing the GIS for another semester (I'm certain it will be offered again), and maybe after reviewing the syllabus for each class I will drop it -- but if I think I can handle it after the first week, I'll stick with it.  I don't want to wreck my GPA by overloading-- which was the biggest mistake I made as an undergraduate.

Well, we'll see.

I've got about a month off of school, so I'll be in the lab, pointing wasps.  Expect an update on that soon.

here's to hope

No comments:

Post a Comment