Friday, April 8, 2011

Research Update 4.8.2011

MEEC Poster
MEEC was pretty awesome!  I probably could have done an oral presentation instead of a poster.  Since I'm doing a poster for the ESA conference it was good practice.  Especially in designing the poster.  I started out trying to use PowerPoint "smart art" to beautify the poster : NOT A GOOD IDEA! Smart art is more of a headache than its worth for posters.  I met some pretty awesome people, heard some interesting talks, thought extensively about what I want to do for my doctorate, and ate some AMAZING food.  Overall it was a successful conference! It wasn't as formal as I expected (hoped?) it would be, and it was REALLY small (only about 120 people total) compared to what the ESA will have (try closer to 1200? 3000? Not quite sure?)

I'm meeting with my advisor and a crew of important people associated with the project today to plan the next round of research.  We're essentially going to increase the number of sites we sample at, but limit to two weeks of collection, one early summer and one late summer.  Should be interesting!

I have four more vials to point and then the pointing will be finished!  So the Summer 2010 samples will then be identified to morphospecies (with help from Tom at CMNH) and quantified.  I'm pretty excited for that.

So much to do!

Classes are going well! GIS is harder than I thought it would be, so much to remember!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment